Wednesday, November 30, 2011

14 Weeks - I Need Motivation

Motivation is a gold-mine. Every time someone or something figures out how to motivate people, it usually ends up pretty profitable for the motivator. Take, for example, all of the advertisements and commercials around New Year's time about weight loss and diet modification. Every person that Weight Watchers motivates, the more money they get to put into their piggy bank. Motivation is a very tricky concept to understand. Everyone's motivation differs, and it can be different at different points in someones life.

Let's take, for example, my pregnancies. When pregnant with Lidia, I was motivated to stay fit. I had a goal - to run the Flying Pig 5K - and I stuck to that goal. And it was even more of an incentive that we were going to reveal the gender and name of our baby on that day. That is what I needed to motivate myself to stay fit. And the reason why I wanted to stay fit during pregnancy was the many health benefits: it helps prevent gestational diabetes, it helps to build up endurance for the grueling job of labor and delivery, it aids in shedding the baby weight after pregnancy, it reduces the chance of swelling up like a blimp, and it staves off baby blues and pumps up your mood. All the books and web sites about pregnancy will advise a woman who is healthy and has a healthy pregnancy to exercise at least 30 minutes a day. Supposedly, exercise while pregnant keeps your baby healthy, too. And I'll have to tell you, I enjoyed running while pregnant with Lidia just to prove wrong the people who thought I couldn't do it. It wasn't a struggle for me to stay fit with Lidia's pregnancy - I had motivation.

So where, oh where, has my motivation gone? I've looked for it everywhere  - on the elliptical, outside, at Jason's health club. But for some reason, I just can't find it in this pregnancy. My thighs rubbing together while I walk, my inability to walk up a flight of stairs without getting out of breath, nor my aches and pains have been enough to motivate me. I want something to blame for my lack of motivation and I think I have it  - I don't have a goal. I have learned in my life that I am someone who relies on goals to get things done. The Flying Pig 5K was a goal that I set while pregnant with Lidia to help me stay fit. And the next year, the Flying Pig 10K was the goal I needed to shed the extra baby weight. This past year, the Flying Pig Relay was a goal I set just to maintain my health. Now, I have no goal. By the time the 2012 Flying Pig rolls around, I will be 9 months pregnant. I am all for working out while pregnant, but I am realistic and know that at 9 months pregnant I will have no desire, nor the physical ability to run a race. It will be January when we will find out the gender and name of this baby, and I'm not sure you could pay me to run a race outside in freezing weather. So, I am stuck goalless.  I ask a favor of you - if you happen to find my motivation or my goal, can you please let me know? Because this little lady and this little baby need it back, and pronto. I'm even willing to pay you money.

Lemon Squeeze

Hey there my sweet little lemon! Are you really closing in on 3.5 inches? Your growth is truly remarkable. Now that we are able to hear your heartbeat, more and more I find myself longing to feel you moving in me. You certainly have poofed mommy out in the past couple weeks - so much so that I've been liberal in sharing the news about you. Everyone that we tell about your impending arrival is so excited, peanut! I have had almost everyone predict that you are a boy. The only ones who thinks you're a girl at this point is your daddy and your sister. As we tell everyone, we will be so completely thrilled no matter what accessory you are found wearing when we get our 20 week ultrasound. And yes, we could pay to have a specialty place spill the gender beans a bit earlier, but we would rather wait to see you in 3D when you are bigger - around 32 weeks.

Now, you are growing little hairs all over your body (called lanugo) to keep your warm in mommy's belly. You are also wiggling and jiggling your toes down there - how cute! Other than that, every part of your body is working on growing and building up efficiency.

I know that we said that we would have the possible names for you this week, but to be honest, your father and I have only agreed on one name so far. So we are going to give it another week and then we will release the name choices to the general public.

Goodnight my sweet one and know that I think of you often and with a smile. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment