Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Somewhere Over the Rainbow - 8 Weeks

Someday I'll wish upon a star
Wake up where the clouds are far behind me
Where trouble melts like lemon drops
High above the chimney tops that's where you'll find me
Somewhere over the rainbow bluebirds fly
And the dream that you dare to,why, oh why can't I

There are many things I have dreamed about in my life. I've dreamt about growing up. About marrying the man of my dreams and starting a family. I've wished and prayed for a best friend like no other best friend. The wake-up call is slowly hitting me. My dreams have come true. I found out this weekend that my best friend in the whole entire world, my soul mate, is expecting. And 2 days before us! How is that for a wake-up call on how blessed we are? What a dream it was to not only be pregnant together with our first children, but for it to happen again with baby number two!

And yes, we are both scared, as it is still early. You know this whole pregnancy thing is not for the weak. There are horror stories of miscarriages at 16 weeks and it makes me shiver with fear. Already 8 weeks pregnant, I feel a bond with the baby growing inside of me. I can't imagine losing this baby and how it would devastate my entire world. I am once again immersing myself in every pregnancy book I can find and every pregnancy web site I can google. Apparently, if a miscarriage were to happen at this point in pregnancy, it is to be seen as blessing. It means that the baby's genes are not forming as they should be, so mother nature steps in and ends the pregnancy while its still somewhat new. Miscarriages that happen later in the pregnancy are usually due to maternal health issues or the actual uterus, placenta, and/or amniotic sacs themselves. However, no one really knows for sure why miscarriages happen and most of the time, they are out of every one's control. So at this point the only intervention we can do is pray and pray harder. We pray that our babies are growing healthy and we continue to make good health choices. Not necessarily for us, but for the life growing inside of us. I read an article today where recently a woman found out she had cancer while she was pregnant. She opted to forgo any chemo treatment to protect the baby growing inside of her. Her baby was born 10 weeks premature and shortly after, the mother passed. Typing this makes me sad and my eyes are welling with tears. However, I'm sure that any other mother would have done the same. That's what we do - we protect our babies. We use whatever control we have to make sure our babies are safe, healthy, and well-cared for - even in utero. And we don't see it as a chore, we see it as a blessing. Because this is something we've always dreamed about - being a mother.

Symptoms

As far as nausea is concerned, I think I am feeling a bit better in that department, or I am just getting used to it. I still have that twinge of a gag reflex when I see something that doesn't look appetizing. And I'm no closer to cooking a meal that contains meat. But, I devoured some stuffed shells and baked ziti, which is a great sign! New pregnancy symptom alert: metal mouth. It's starting to go away, but for a couple weeks I had the taste of metal in my mouth. I had no idea it was a pregnancy symptom until I read it in, What to Expect When You're Expecting. And, of course, I've been lethargic and short of breath. I also remembered the importance of eating every two hours, as I got light-headed and sweaty one day this week due to low blood sugar (I hadn't eaten for 4 hours). Some good old crackers and soup cured that! And finally, I'm smiling a lot more this week - does that count as a pregnancy symptom?

You are Berry Wonderful


My little active one! Apparently, you have been down there flailing your arms and legs. Obviously, I cannot feel you moving around, but boy am I ever anxious to! You are working your way up to being an inch long, though you haven't hit that milestone yet. And, you are beginning to form taste buds. I can't wait for you to taste your nonno's famous meatballs, your mamaw's awesome enchiladas, and your grandma Schneider's amazing homemade ravioli's!

This week we've been talking a bit about what your name will be. We've got some good ideas floating out there! Also this week, your older sister keeps saying, "Baby peanut OK." We're not quite sure where she got this from, and she doesn't phrase it as a question. It's almost like she's reassuring daddy and me that you are doing just fine. Keep hanging in there my dear! We can't wait for a couple short weeks when we will get to hear the lovely tune of your heart beating. We love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment